One of the most important elements in the marketing communication mix is what I regard as the first ‘P’ (people). Many organizations and firms miss out on this one; they usually put people last and put what I consider the last ‘P’ (Price) rather as the first. On paper, people tend to be the center of focus in the strategy design of many firms. However, at the implementation stage price tend to be the focal point.

In many corporate firms today, marketing departments have become more transactional in their approach to clients and potential clients needs than relational. Transactional marketing normally focuses on what the client or customer is giving to the organization rather than what the organization gives to the clients; the focus here is not client retention but profit increment. This can be catastrophic for firms especially in this era of price wars. 

This makes relational marketing a great incentive for firms, here what is given to client goes beyond services requested for. Transactional marketing says I have a product and I want you to buy it; you buy this product and we are done until I need you again. But in an era where so many firms are providing same services, what is provide is not the key thing but how it is provided is what makes all the difference.

I was invited into a program based on live audience patronage. After the program, the staff followed up with calls and developed interest in what I do. At a point, the host of the show responded to my invitation to be a guest at a program some friends and I put together and she honored it at no cost.

The relationship between this firm and I has grown over the years and till date I receive calls from them asking me to  recommend them to potential live audiences. I always gather a good number of people to attend the company’s shows anytime they have called on me. This is a relational marketing mechanism adopted by the company and it is working.

It is usual to see firms put paperwork before ‘peoplework’ and mostly the front desk operations in many firms are a facade. Business centers are solutions centers where potential clients bring practical problems for practical solutions. Clients have needs and how these needs are met determine to a significant margin how the clients are retained. The point is, after marketing is carried out clients must be so impressed with services received such that they seek a long lasting working relationship with the service provider. 

The service provided should contain all the elements of the firm’s brand the marketing communication delivered and it is at this point brands are experienced. A brand experienced build brands heritage than just brands communicated which is at the psychological level. Relational Marketing is one of such ways of building a brand heritage where the brand is transferred from one generation to another by families.

I had an experience with a firm a few years ago. I had been an alumnus of a training center; I went through a professional training program organized by this firm. After training, I returned to this firm where some people I recommended where going through training including others. I was asked to share my experiences with the class and I did. I decided to show up some days after without taking part in class actively since I was not a student. 

I was amazed when one of the coordinators asked me to excuse the class because I was not a student. Furthermore, the transactional thinking set, and he said that if I had contributed something to the new class I should draw the attention of management so I could be paid but I was not supposed to be part of the class. I was so tongue-tied that I left; it was the last time I recommended people to their programs.

 Marketing is moving from the transactional to relational where after-service relationship with clients develops. This development allows service providers to show a little more interest in the well-being of clients as much as acceptable and not just providing them with payable services. It is a relational marketing strategy to keep a solid client or potential client database systems with very significant dates as birthdays recorded. 

Occasional sending of good will messages, souvenirs, birthday wishes, gifts when necessary, and invitation to company functions for highly respected persons, among others are some of the ways toward building a win-win relationship with clients. The relationship between firms and clients or potential clients should be as professional as it should be acceptably friend; it is a relationship with share objectives, mutual benefits, and concerns based on mutual respect, understanding, and sincerity. 

This is one of the sure ways to register a brand on the hearts of clients and potential clients and not just their minds. Services provided for must not be valued in monetary terms alone; firms must be more concerned about whether those who came to them for help are really helped or not long after services are provided. Customer relations are beyond front-desk operations; the must move beyond the front desk of the service provider to the office desk of the service receiver based on after-service relationships and mechanisms to monitor customer satisfaction.


Fidel Y. Tetteh
Corporate Communications
Innovare Learning Center

Post a Comment

What is your view on this post?

Previous Post Next Post